Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Room

Dear Yalies, now that the posters are up and the speakers plugged in, feel free to invite yourselves over.

from the window: Harkness Hall, Bass Library and Calhoun College
I just came to the somewhat startling realization that this is my 11th dorm room (five during summer programs, four in high school, one last year).
. . .

After a sunny week of invigorating New England autumn weather, the weekend has been very wet and dreary. At the moment, I'm coping with a large mug of white tea and a recording of Sergei Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2 in C minor performed by Rachmaninoff himself. There's something truly arresting about listening to an musician play a masterpiece of which he composed every note. Appropriately, amid the cascade of Russian Romanticism, I'm also trying to navigate my International Studies reading on the fall of the Soviet Union.