Bayou City Arts Festival
- 300 artists showing off wares in 19 media.
- "International style, Texas hospitality." Four nights of runway shows at the Wortham Center.
- HGO has emerged from the end of the 2010 fiscal year with a surprising surplus, attributable to "a dedicated board of trustees, enviable endowment and Houston's loyal donor community." Record ticket sales to such hits as Puccini's Tosca, Tchaikovsky's The Queen of Spades and Handel's Xerxes also gave HGO the budget boost. In all, the company has raised over 60 million dollars in contributed support in the last 38 months and increased its subscription audience by 38 percent. CEO Anthony Freud's contract has been extended through July 2015.
- Houston Symphony musicians have ratified a four-year contract that will extend through the orchestra's 100th anniversary season. (They're still not paid nearly enough, but at least furlough has been decreased.)
- The Symphony is currently on tour in the United Kingdom for its "inventive and ingeniously orchestrated" presentation of Gustav Holst's The Planets (check out the video).