Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I love my *****

Listening to:
"Fireflies" by Owl City

During my quick lunch in Commons today, I overheard part of an interesting conversation about Pakistan's culture. A Pakistani student described the biggest difference between Pakistani and Indian cinema as "the sleeve lengths of actresses." He also mentioned that, despite the Pakistani government's official ban on Indian films, Bollywood movies are extremely popular throughout South Asia, including Pakistan.

He then recounted the experience of watching a Bollywood movie with his family at home (in Pakistan) that he had already seen in the U.S. Apparently, the only difference was censorship of parts of the soundtrack: in the theme song "I Love My India", the word "India" was bleeped out every time the chorus repeated. Viva Kashmir?
. . .

I never knew chicken meat could be so fascinating:
'Boneless' Wings, the Cheaper Bite
(William Neuman)
Wholesale chicken prices have turned upside down. The once-lowly wing is selling at a premium over what has long been the gold standard of poultry parts, the skinless boneless chicken breast.

The recession is the cause of the price flip-flop.

There's a very good chance this is also related to my suite's regular runs to the Buffalo Wild Wings in New Haven.