Saturday, March 13, 2010

Price of Beauty

qotd:
"I don't brush my teeth, really! I just use Listerine, and sometimes I'll use my sweater."
- Jessica Simpson

..and I wondered why she was single.


On a less depressing note, I drove to Rice University this morning to attend Frontiers of Neuroscience, a lecture series featuring professors and researchers from Rice University and the Baylor College of Medicine. Today's speakers included Dr. Michael Friedlander, chair of the Department of Neuroscience at BCM, who presented "Individual cellular differences in plasticity behaviors within the visual cortex."

I also enjoyed Dr. Mariella De Biasi's lecture on the mechanisms of nicotine addiction. She explained in depth the diversity of neuronal nicotine receptors and the specific subunits that can be targeted to alleviate nicotine-related anxiety and withdrawal symptoms. Although human studies have not yet been conducted, preliminary research with mice suggests that some of these subunits are only found in addiction-related neuron populations and, therefore, that disabling their expression could be a safe and powerful tool against nicotine addiction.

Some pictures from my walk around Rice's campus:

Gorgeous campus, gorgeous weather